Thursday, September 19, 2013

Tabata!

So my new workout obsession... just might be Tabata. It may be too soon to tell, but so far, I'm loving it!

Basically, a Tabata workout is 4 (YES, FOUR!) minutes long-- you do 20 seconds as HARD as you can go, then 10 seconds of rest, and repeat til you've hit 4 minutes. I was extremely skeptical of this at first-- how can 4 minutes be long enough? I was also very confused... Do you do it alone? Do you mix it in with other cardio? Do you do more than one? I got a lot of conflicting answers, but basically I think it's plenty to do 4 minutes, but you can do more if you so choose. The trick to this workout is that you have to GO for those 20 seconds. I mean, by the end, you should feel like you're going to die.

(You can read more information here.)

Here's an idea of some of the moves you might do:

You'd want to also be sure to warm up and cool down/stretch.

Here's what I did yesterday:

Warmup: Jumping Jacks for about 1.5 minutes

Tabata:
0:00-0:20-- Squat jacks
0:20-0:30-- Rest
0:30-0:50-- High knees
0:50-1:00-- Rest
1:00-1:20-- Burpees
1:20-1:30-- Rest
1:30-1:50-- Tuck jumps
1:50-2:00-- Rest
2:00-4:00-- Repeat above

2 minutes active rest-- walking around/trying not to die. ;)

Then I repeated the same Tabata one more time.

Um... yeah. 8 minutes was PLENTY. I was gasping/wheezing/feeling like I had never done cardio before.

me.^


What an awesome way to squeeze in some cardio, right?!



Anyone can do 4 minutes! #noexcuses!

Try it, and let me know what you thought!
xoxo,
Julie


No comments:

Post a Comment